Our attorneys handle complex commercial litigation in a wide range of areas. We are qualified to appear in state and federal courts throughout New York and New Jersey. We have experience litigating disputes involving a wide range of industries, including media, transportation, construction, retail, creative, health care and information.
The Business Litigation Representation We Provide
The matters that we handle reflect the scope of our clients’ activities:
- Disputes arising in connection with complex commercial transactions, including litigation relating to contract disputes
- Bankruptcy litigation, representing debtors or creditors
- Product liability and environmental cases, including mass-disaster and mass-tort cases, property-damage claims, and environmental and toxic-tort cases
- Intellectual property (copyright, patent and trademark) disputes
- Employment discrimination and civil rights litigation
Our attorneys handle business disputes with a focus on simplifying the issues so that they can be resolved through alternative dispute resolution, if possible. Our representation also involves trying cases in New York and New Jersey courts.
As an example of our commercial work, in 532 Madison Avenue Gourmet Foods v. Finlandia Center, 96 NY2D 280 (2001), we represented in the trial courts the ultimately successful appellants in two cases involving a partial building collapse on Madison Avenue in New York City that closed area businesses for two weeks. We successfully moved in the trial courts to dismiss the plaintiffs’ negligence claims on the grounds that the plaintiffs could not establish a duty of care for purely economic loss in the absence of personal injury or property damage, and to dismiss the public nuisance claims. The New York Court of Appeals reversed the First Department and upheld the arguments we made in the trial courts in a case that is now authoritative and frequently cited on the issues.
Whether you are a large or small business, a state or a governmental body, we can assist and represent you in resolving all types of commercial disputes through litigation. Contact Newman Myers Kreines Harris, P.C., online or by calling 646-835-2552.